Skip to main content

Coronation or Election

It is rather sad for Charles Kennedy to end up resigning the way he did. He did get the party to the best result for a third party since the 1920s. It also means that the party members have not had the chance to vote on the issue.

This means it is crucial that the party members have a chance to vote as to who the next leader is. Next Saturday is the "Meeting the Challenge" Conference.
I shall continue consulting with party members and activists until after that Conference and make a decision as to whether or not to formally stand in the election then.

I think it is important that there is a contested election this time. Many of the MPs will back Ming Campbell. We owe it to our activists to give them a real choice.

If it is a Campbell-Hemming battle then I would argue the case that I am a potential candidate with a lot of real experience of running things successfully rather than successfully running :-)

However, Ming Campbell is a very effective and impressive politician and if he wins the election I am sure he will do a good job.

Comments

Ryan said…
As a party we really need an Election.
If the only way to get one is for you to stand, I'll sign any papers.
Stephen Glenn said…
I'm seeking an election as I have just blogged. Sadly John if I were to rank all the 61 eligible MPs in order of preference I fear you are nowhere near my first 10 preferences.

I seek a serious challenger/s to Ming.
Graham Smith said…
My predictions are that Cable, Campbell, Clegg, Hemming and Hughes will seek to be nominated.

In the end, Nick Clegg will become leader. If he doesn't quite make it this time, my guess is that his ambitions will ensure there is a contest immediately after the next General Election.
Suz said…
John, good on you - go for it if you are serious to get the ball rolling. It's no laughing matter

Quoting from an email I received this evening it sums up my feelings and I suspect the majority of party members

"I am concerned to hear suggestions that some in the Parliamentary Party are talking about uniting behind a single candidate. If this were to happen it would deny the membership a fundamental right enshrined in our constitution. It will be bad for the Party too as suspicions that the departure of Charles was orchestrated by one or two in the Parliamentary Party will be gain ground".

We need an election not a coronation.
John Hemming said…
Given that you (TonyF) knew in May 2004 about Emily, I don't think you can claim that.

OK so we didn't press release about Isobel until the 2nd trimester. I don't think that is unreasonable.

Popular posts from this blog

Its the long genes that stop working

People who read my blog will be aware that I have for some time argued that most (if not all) diseases of aging are caused by cells not being able to produce enough of the right proteins. What happens is that certain genes stop functioning because of a metabolic imbalance. I was, however, mystified as to why it was always particular genes that stopped working. Recently, however, there have been three papers produced: Aging is associated with a systemic length-associated transcriptome imbalance Age- or lifestyle-induced accumulation of genotoxicity is associated with a generalized shutdown of long gene transcription and Gene Size Matters: An Analysis of Gene Length in the Human Genome From these it is obvious to see that the genes that stop working are the longer ones. To me it is therefore obvious that if there is a shortage of nuclear Acetyl-CoA then it would mean that the probability of longer Genes being transcribed would be reduced to a greater extent than shorter ones.