Skip to main content

A visit to Downing Street

One of the issues that is clear from the General Election is that we need to change the electoral system as well as the procedures for casting votes. To highlight this issue I today sent a letter to Tony Blair.

The letter said:
I note that only 1 in 5 of British Citizens voted for your party in the General Election. Many of these voters were voting tactically. This clearly shows that you do not have a democratic mandate. Has the time not come for changing the electoral system for parliament to enable that governments have the positive support of citizens.

I also arranged for 5 people to show the effects of the current system.
-

Only 61.3% of people voted. The figure in Germany was just over 79%. With Labour's vote at only just over 35% the percentage of the electorate voting Labour is 21.57%.

Out of 5 people, therefore, roughtly 2 didn't vote. One voted for Blair, one voted Conservative and One voted for Lib Dems (and others).

I also handed in the letter to Tony Blair.


Earlier in the day we had visited Downing Street to see what could be done now that the Country has to have heavy security and had breakfast on Whitehall.
-

Today I managed to work out how to handle my post, dealt with all the urgent post, resolved my new parliamentary email address hemmingj@parliament.uk and sorted out the phones system. I also managed to appoint two members of staff and start the process of making contacts with the media. I have been up to the date with casework emails throughout.

I also find that I cannot use the parliamentary network system to get email from outside parliament, which is a bit silly, but I can live with it. They are so heavily bureaucratic in parliament that it is not surprising that the country is overloaded with bureaucracy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Its the long genes that stop working

People who read my blog will be aware that I have for some time argued that most (if not all) diseases of aging are caused by cells not being able to produce enough of the right proteins. What happens is that certain genes stop functioning because of a metabolic imbalance. I was, however, mystified as to why it was always particular genes that stopped working. Recently, however, there have been three papers produced: Aging is associated with a systemic length-associated transcriptome imbalance Age- or lifestyle-induced accumulation of genotoxicity is associated with a generalized shutdown of long gene transcription and Gene Size Matters: An Analysis of Gene Length in the Human Genome From these it is obvious to see that the genes that stop working are the longer ones. To me it is therefore obvious that if there is a shortage of nuclear Acetyl-CoA then it would mean that the probability of longer Genes being transcribed would be reduced to a greater extent than shorter ones.