Skip to main content

A visit to the Elections office

One of the debates in Birmingham at the moment relates to the provision of the list of postal voters. Last year (and in other authorities this year) the elections office provided an electronic list of postal voters before the elections.

We have requested that again this year, but the returning officer is saying that the law prevents her from providing the list. I was told I could visit the elections office to see the records. I visited the elections office on Tuesday, but they did not have the records of the postal voters available.

Today I was told I could visit the elections office, but I would not get a list. I could sit by the side of someone who would operate the records computer and was not allowed to touch the computer.

My objective is to identify which votes are being sent to local addresses other than that of the voter (most of which end up being stolen in some way).

The Deputy Returning Officer said to me that he didn't think that would help with my task. I pointed out to him that I already had a list of those votes which were misdirected in June 2004 and that I could easily check the situation. I also took my camera to photograph (copy) the computer screen for evidential purposes.

Of the 64 postal vote misdirects in Aston it turns out that 54 people only had postal votes for June 2004. There, however, remain 10 that are misdirected for the General Election. There is also one vote which is a new misdirect that I found by accident. Clearly there will be more, but at least we have some people we can talk to assist with preventing vote stealing in the General Election.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Its the long genes that stop working

People who read my blog will be aware that I have for some time argued that most (if not all) diseases of aging are caused by cells not being able to produce enough of the right proteins. What happens is that certain genes stop functioning because of a metabolic imbalance. I was, however, mystified as to why it was always particular genes that stopped working. Recently, however, there have been three papers produced: Aging is associated with a systemic length-associated transcriptome imbalance Age- or lifestyle-induced accumulation of genotoxicity is associated with a generalized shutdown of long gene transcription and Gene Size Matters: An Analysis of Gene Length in the Human Genome From these it is obvious to see that the genes that stop working are the longer ones. To me it is therefore obvious that if there is a shortage of nuclear Acetyl-CoA then it would mean that the probability of longer Genes being transcribed would be reduced to a greater extent than shorter ones.