Budget 2005/6 more details
Our budgetary proposals have been welcomed across the city. People recognise that we are acting on the issues that they are concerned about. They also welcome our movement towards more cost effective governance.
- More money for Social Care. The budget goes up by 11%, sustantially more than the increase from Central Government.
- The fourth option for Housing. Birmingham and Cambridge (Lib Dem Run) have both committed to providing the resources for the fourth option.
- Park Keepers - 1 Park keeper for each district.
- Bus Wardens - bus patronage has been going down because of difficulties with the service.
- Kerbside collection for recycling not just paper.
- More support for Apprentice type training
- A system to stop the council losing messages
- More effective action on graffiti, flyposting and dumping.
All in all, a Cleaner, Greener and Safer City than under Labour and with one of the lowest council tax increases in the country at 2.8%.
What we must do, however, is to continue the process of concentrating on cost-effective, front line services. For example decisions need to be taken taken on the basis of value for money not just whether it can be paid for from the budget.
This will enable us to make sure that we do a better job with same resources.