Skip to main content

St Patricks Parade Birmingham 2009 Tipperary County Association

Today was the Birmingham St Patrick's Day Parade. It was the best weather for some time (probably since 2003 when the route was different).

As usual I paraded with the Birmingham Tipperary County Association which is led by Bromsgrove Independent Councillor David McGrath. Often there are quite a few acoustic musicians, but I was the only one this time.

The song we sing (A long way to tipperary) was in fact written by a London based composer, but the chords I have are as follows:


G C G
It's a long way to Tipperary, it's a long way to go,
A A7 D
It's a long way to Tipperary to the sweetest girl I know!
G C B7
Goodbye Piccadilly, farewell Leicester Square!
G C G A D G
It's a long, long way to Tipperary, but my heart's right there.

My own belief is that really there should be a D on the word "right" in the last line.

This time I took my camera and tried to photograph as many of the parade as possible whilst waiting to move off. The staged photo of the Tipperary Association was easy:
IMG_0957
Behind us initially were the Sandwell Dhol players. We had arranged with them that they would stop playing so we could sing, but later in the parade the organisers moved them way from us. Being acoustic we could not compete with the drum groups or pipe bands. Some of the drum groups could compete with the floats with music stacks on them. However, I recorded a small segment on my still camera (11 seconds) to give some indication of the rhythm. They did every so often switch to a rendition of Queen's "We will, we will rock you."

All the crops I felt were of any use are on my flickr account which can be accessed via this link.

Here are a few selected at random.

Birmingham Wexford Association
fIMG_1027
Wexford is important to my family law campaigning as it is a place where many of the refugees persecuted by the family courts in England go.

Another drum group - I have heard their rhythms in parts of the city, but don't know their name.
fIMG_1025
County Offaly Association
fIMG_1020
Archbishop Illsley's School (in Yardley Constituency)
fIMG_0986
The bus at the front of the parade. People may wonder why St Patrick looks like the twin of St George (in the St George's festival). Perhaps I should not reveal the truth.
fIMG_0961
Flags at front of parade
fIMG_0958
There is a political significance to some of the objects in the parade which is why it is sad that I have had to crop out some of the more significant elements in some photos (because they are covered by people's heads and hats etc). In this case the tricolour is missing.

I shall try to find other online sources of photos and add them to this entry.
The Dog Instructor seems only one photo.
Tim Ellis
The BBC
Birmingham Alabama
Very Quiet???
g4pfk
BRMB

If there are any more please put in the comments and I will add to this page.

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi John, It is great to see your blog up so quick. I realy enjoyed it We have had a great day so far and well done to all the people connected to the event.
Regards Paul Ryan walking under my hometown banner of Cork today.
Ps the words of Tipperary were by a black country man Jack Judge of Irish stock.

Popular posts from this blog

Its the long genes that stop working

People who read my blog will be aware that I have for some time argued that most (if not all) diseases of aging are caused by cells not being able to produce enough of the right proteins. What happens is that certain genes stop functioning because of a metabolic imbalance. I was, however, mystified as to why it was always particular genes that stopped working. Recently, however, there have been three papers produced: Aging is associated with a systemic length-associated transcriptome imbalance Age- or lifestyle-induced accumulation of genotoxicity is associated with a generalized shutdown of long gene transcription and Gene Size Matters: An Analysis of Gene Length in the Human Genome From these it is obvious to see that the genes that stop working are the longer ones. To me it is therefore obvious that if there is a shortage of nuclear Acetyl-CoA then it would mean that the probability of longer Genes being transcribed would be reduced to a greater extent than shorter ones.