Skip to main content

Saturday

Today started with Make Poverty History's march leaving from Chamberlain Square to go to Edinburgh. Then I did the advice bureau and then opened the new pavilion for Manor House Gardens Allotments (arguably the best allotments in the country).

The little girl is my daughter Alice who had her 5th Birthday party today as Ash End House Farm.

A good photo of the cycle ride trio of Lib Dem MPs.


I am still juggling up what I should respond to the "SuperStud Brummie Lib Dem MP" story doing the rounds at the moment. If the newspapers do manage to hunt up 25 girlfriends that I have affairs with perhaps they could give me the names and phone numbers as I have no idea of who they are supposed to be. On the other hand it does trump all the other "sex scandals" I know of. The Daily Mirror have advertised for people to phone them. Oddly enough my wife has been offered £5K for a story by one newspaper and my girlfriend has been offered another £5K for her story by a different newspaper. Neither, of course, is going to take any money.

People may note that 26 is the birthday of my wife who suggested that number as an "illustrative" number. It is one of her favourite numbers.

Still in the mean time it is an interesting meme.

Perhaps that is why the story today hit the Telegraph, Times, Daily Express, Mirror, Sun as well as Birmingham Post and more nonsense in the Evening Mail - who normally do a better job.

One of the newspaper journalists said that I look like a bank manager and they cannot understand what women see in me. I would really like to know. (two papers have been chasing the story today)

I am, however, a bit miffed that I missed the boat on the publicity for dealing with Silent Calls. PMQ on Wednesday, action on Thursday. hmmm.

Shows how the system works. Interestingly a lot of people at the Manor House Allotments had had problems with silent calls.

Comments

Farah said…
Congratulations to you John. I was pointed to this post by a friend ( I seem to have missed whatever was in the newspapers).

It's long past time people grew up and realised that actually, monogamy is a minority practice in the world, and that all that actually matters is the quality and committment in a relationship.
John Hemming said…
One of the difficulties of being an MP is that something which may not be noticed for a non-politician will become very public otherwise. My relatives and I have to live with that.

To some extent, therefore, one has to accept that aspects of ones life that one would not wish to discuss end up in the public domain.

Firstly, I have made little comment myself in the public domain. People do not actually have any right to know all the details whether they be salacious or not.

Secondly, if I am to make any further comment on the matter I would need to ensure that other people are aware. I am a relatively strong personality and so are my relatives, but some of them are children and that does make them more vulnerable. This blog is essentially public.

That does not mean that I will not make further comment, but it does mean that I will make no further comment for now. I have left substantial gaps in what I have said. I am aware of that.

Popular posts from this blog

Its the long genes that stop working

People who read my blog will be aware that I have for some time argued that most (if not all) diseases of aging are caused by cells not being able to produce enough of the right proteins. What happens is that certain genes stop functioning because of a metabolic imbalance. I was, however, mystified as to why it was always particular genes that stopped working. Recently, however, there have been three papers produced: Aging is associated with a systemic length-associated transcriptome imbalance Age- or lifestyle-induced accumulation of genotoxicity is associated with a generalized shutdown of long gene transcription and Gene Size Matters: An Analysis of Gene Length in the Human Genome From these it is obvious to see that the genes that stop working are the longer ones. To me it is therefore obvious that if there is a shortage of nuclear Acetyl-CoA then it would mean that the probability of longer Genes being transcribed would be reduced to a greater extent than shorter ones.