George W Bush and the Rule of Law - (Top 10 dumb US legal arguments)
The link is to the top ten nonsensical legal arguments of the Bush Government and a detailed analysis of them.
This is a summary (in increasing level of stupidity):
10. The NSA's eavesdropping was limited in scope.
9. Scooter Libby's sentence was commuted because it was excessive.
8. The vice president's office is not a part of the executive branch.
7. Guantanamo Bay detainees enjoy more legal rights than any POW's in history.
6. Water-boarding may not be torture.
5. Everyone who has ever spoken to the president about anything is barred from congressional testimony by executive privilege.
4. Nine U.S. attorneys were fired by nobody, but for good reason.
3. Alberto Gonzales.
2. State secrets.
1. The United States does not torture.
We face some similar difficulties in the UK. Getting proper answers from the government remains very difficult. I am continuing to try to stop some of the cover ups that go on in the UK.
However, I think the USA government have the edge on us in terms of abuse of executive authority.
The idea of the "rule of law" is that the government has to follow the law as well.