Skip to main content

The Frietag Method

There has been some debate in the media recently about children and delivering leaflets. Now and again I take my own children out delivering leaflets as I did with two this morning.

There is an interesting question as to how old a child has to be before they actually do more to help than hinder. My 5 year old, who said today that she had not been to the park for "ten years", is very close to being about to do more work delivering leaflets than it takes me for to wait whilst she runs around. Sadly, however, she has not actually got that far. I suppose her enthusiasm for going delivering leaflets will wane when the work done exceeds the time it takes for me to wait for her.

I think the threshold is probably at about 7. It does also depend upon whether the leaflets are addressed (and from time to time I deliver a road with leaflets only noticing part way down the road that they are addressed.)

Comments

John Hemming said…
It is me that she is orbiting.
PoliticalHackUK said…
Anybody who has delivered leaflets thinks very hard before letting young children deliver leaflets. The number of letterboxes with sharp edges, fierce springs or vicious dogs lurking behind should give any parent second thoughts.

Mind you, I'd have second thoughts about letting John out with the kids, given that he can't even keep control of his bike.
John Hemming said…
The dogs are an issue for children and adults.

Popular posts from this blog

Its the long genes that stop working

People who read my blog will be aware that I have for some time argued that most (if not all) diseases of aging are caused by cells not being able to produce enough of the right proteins. What happens is that certain genes stop functioning because of a metabolic imbalance. I was, however, mystified as to why it was always particular genes that stopped working. Recently, however, there have been three papers produced: Aging is associated with a systemic length-associated transcriptome imbalance Age- or lifestyle-induced accumulation of genotoxicity is associated with a generalized shutdown of long gene transcription and Gene Size Matters: An Analysis of Gene Length in the Human Genome From these it is obvious to see that the genes that stop working are the longer ones. To me it is therefore obvious that if there is a shortage of nuclear Acetyl-CoA then it would mean that the probability of longer Genes being transcribed would be reduced to a greater extent than shorter ones.