Skip to main content

St Patricks Day Parade 2010 Birmingham

I prepared well for today's St Patrick's parade by getting the chords written down. Sadly when it came to the parade I had the chords in G and everyone else was playing in C. I had a bit of a rush because on Saturday evening I was doing the piano at the Lib Dem Conference in Birmingham at which I finished playing at 1.30am. I had to clear my equipment this morning as I was too tired (and "emotional") last night. I then found two strings broken on my guitar. This resulted in me restringing the guitar completely in a big rush and hence I was slightly late for the parade. However, I was no more delayed than the parade itself hence there was no problem.

The parade seemed bigger this year. We had a much wider range of drum groups and also a new walking jazz band as well as a chinese section. The traditional sikh Dhol group was there as well.

Sadly the Tipperary County Association (see below for photos) was squeezed between the jazz band and a pipe band which made our much quieter music relatively hard to hear.

However, it was a good parade and good weather. I have uploaded some photos on
flickr and will try to find other people's photos to link to and update this post as time goes by.

IMG_1885

Martin O'Connell on Flickr
BRMB
Birmingham Mail Archive
BBC
Birmingham Mail Current
More Birmingham Mail
Mail 2
Jabbar Man on flickr
Nadeem Chugtai
Gelerts Girl on Flickr

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Its the long genes that stop working

People who read my blog will be aware that I have for some time argued that most (if not all) diseases of aging are caused by cells not being able to produce enough of the right proteins. What happens is that certain genes stop functioning because of a metabolic imbalance. I was, however, mystified as to why it was always particular genes that stopped working. Recently, however, there have been three papers produced: Aging is associated with a systemic length-associated transcriptome imbalance Age- or lifestyle-induced accumulation of genotoxicity is associated with a generalized shutdown of long gene transcription and Gene Size Matters: An Analysis of Gene Length in the Human Genome From these it is obvious to see that the genes that stop working are the longer ones. To me it is therefore obvious that if there is a shortage of nuclear Acetyl-CoA then it would mean that the probability of longer Genes being transcribed would be reduced to a greater extent than shorter ones.